Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

От Martin Marques
Тема Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of
Дата
Список pgsql-general
El Dom 14 Sep 2003 12:20, Lincoln Yeoh escribió:
> >At 07:16 PM 9/13/2003 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >'migration' server.  And I really don't want to think about dump/restore
> >of 100TB (if PostgreSQL actually stores the image files, which it might).
>
> Hmm. Just curious, do people generally backup 100TB of data, or once most
> reach this point they have to hope that it's just hardware failures they'll
> deal with and not software/other issues?

Normally you would have a RAID with mirroring and CRC, so that if one of the
disks in the array of disks falls, the system keeps working. You can even
have hot-pluggable disks, so you can change the disk that is broken without
rebooting.

You can also have a hot backup using eRServ (Replicate your DB server on a
backup server, just in case).

> 100TB sounds like a lot of backup media and time... Not to mention ensuring
> that the backups will work with available and functioning backup hardware.

I don't know, but there may be backup systems for that amount of space. We
have just got some 200Gb tape devices, and they are about 2 years old. With a
5 tape robot, you have 1TB of backup.

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?