Re: [ADMIN] YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!

От 3rd.
Тема Re: [ADMIN] YOUR SITES SEARCH FEATURE DOES NOT WORK!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
 hi Marc,

for whatever reason i think your board is very
confusing and hard to find information.

i was hoping you could help me by answering a few
questions about postgresql.

why don't you people have a regular PHPBBs? they are
so easy to use and understand.

i greatly appreciate it.

hello everyone i am very new to postgresql 7.3.3 and
am using it on my mac G4 OS X and i am having some
trouble which i hope you can help me out with some
answers to my questions:

1.) How can I get a list of users currently logged
into the database? Is it possible?

2) I plan on using postgresql  for a posting board
database, how can I search for a certain word that is
in the post's topic subject header? For example if the
post subject was "Flying to the moon" and the user
wants to find that post he/she enters 'moon' in the
search field I made, I've used the : SELECT * FROM
mytable WHERE (subject) LIKE 'moon');  command to find
a one word exact match but don't know how to find just
one word in a string of words using postgresql.  (
web/http is not an option for my posting board. )

3.) Is having the default user 'Postgres' a security
risk? wouldn't a hacker look for that default user
name and thus make it easier for him to break in?

4.) Is there a database table limit? (can I have 700
tables in my database?)

5.) is there a text length limit? as I said I plan on
using postgresql and your plugin for a Posting board
and also an email system for my server so I am
wondering if there is a limit to the posts and email
lengths?

6.) How can I backup my postgresql database and
tables? is it possible to backup only certain tables
and not the whole database?
Is it possible to use your plugin for regular
scheduled backups?

7.) how many users can a mac OS X system support at
one time while maintaining decent/good performance?
does postgreSQL have a limit for mac servers? i've
read that windows has a limit of only about 50
simultaneous users. i have a fast G4 and if i have to
will buy a G5 i suspect i'll need to support 200
simultaneous users that are actively file swapping.
can a G4/G5 handle that?

8.) can anyone recommend a really good book for Mac OS
X and postgreSQL? it's very hard for me to get good
help/information online, it's slow and complicated to
me and it also hurts my eyes. has anyone read
O'reily's book 'practicle postgresql'? is it good?

I know these are alot of questions but for some reason
i am having a really hard time trying to figure it out
on my own.

thank you very much.