Re: Localization (for dates) Oracle vs. Postgresql

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: Localization (for dates) Oracle vs. Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 05:04:35PM -0500, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > "Amin Schoeib" <aschoeib@4tek.de> writes:
> > > When I would execute this:
> > > select to_char(now(),'DD.Month,YYYY')
> > > I would get the monthname in english but how can I perform with to_char
> > > That I become the monthname in german??
> >
> > Karel, isn't there a way to get localized month names using
> > to_char() ?  I thought there was, but I don't see anything about it
> > in the manual.
>
> I sent the patch long time ago and it was rejected by Karel :-(. I can
> work on this again but I can't remember exactly why it was rejected, I
> think Karel and I didn't reach agreement on the API.

 Yes.

 Note about to_char() future: I think about library for date/time and numbers
 formatting, because it's feature interesting for more projects. The
 basic features:

 * better date/time, numbers and format pictures parser (maybe based on flex+bison)
 * full locale support - independent on actual locale setting
 * bidirectional conversion of roman numbers
 * numbers spelling
 * string to string formatting

    Karel

--