Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:35:13AM +0100, matt wrote:

> I need to increase the overall performance by a factor of 10, while at
> the same time the DB size increases by a factor of 50.  e.g. 3000
> inserts/updates or 25,000 selects per second, over a 25GB database with
> most used tables of 5,000,000 and 1,000,000 rows.

Your problem is mostly going to be disk related.  You can only get in
there as many tuples in a second as your disk rotates per second.  I
suspect what you need is really expensive disk hardware (sorry to
tell you that) set up as RAID 1+0 on fibre channel or something.
3000 write transactions per second is probably too much to ask for
any standard hardware.

But given that you are batching this once a week, and trying to avoid
big expenses, are you use this is the right approach?  Perhaps you
should consider a redesign using COPY and such?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110