Re: Perfomance Tuning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Perfomance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
OK, I got some hard evidence.  Here is a discussion on the Linux kernel
mailing list with postings from Allen Cox (ac Linux kernels) and Stephen
Tweedie (ext3 author).

    http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week14/subject.html#start

Search for "softupdates and ext2".

Here is the original email in the thread:

    http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week14/0498.html

Summary is at:

    http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week14/0571.html

and conclusion in:

    http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week14/0504.html

I now remember the issue --- ext2 makes all disk changes asynchonously
(unless you mount it via sync, which is slow).  This means that the file
system isn't always consistent on disk.

UFS has always sync metadata (file/directory creation) to the disk so
the disk was always consistent, but doesn't sync the data to the disk,
for performance reasons.  With soft updates, the metadata writes are
delayed, and written to disk in an order that keeps the file system
consistent.

Is this enough evidence, or should I keep researching?