Re: Database growth problem

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Database growth problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:32:24PM -0400, mlaks wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have about 15 different PC's running RedHat 7.3 Linux, each running the
> same database backed application (I use  Postgresql 7.2.1 for the database)

Upgrade that to 7.2.4, at least.  Noo need to dump and restore, but
you get saved from some nasty bugs.

> On this system, I keep the RAID about 75% full of files, and thus I imagine
> that the Postgresql database should be about .75 of a GB in size. However, it
> isnt! I find that it keeps growing as time goes on. Its now about 3.9GB in
> size!

Could be that your free space map is too small; on 7.2, the default
is at least an order of magnitude too small.  Also, perhaps you need
to reindex: the btrees in Postgres have a nasty habit of growing
without bound.  (That's fixed in current CVS sources.)

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110