data files management (tablespaces)

От Victor Yegorov
Тема data files management (tablespaces)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello.

I wonder, is it possible in PostgreSQL to manage data files, stored on
disks? I mean, I'd like to tell DB where store this or that object.

Now I have a server running a DB and a small application that uses
it. At the time, when project started, there were enough space on HD
(4Gb). Now it seems, that soon I'm going to have problems.

At now, I'm daily backuping and then deleting all "expired" records. But
that is not the solution I want.

Is it possible to add one (or more) disks and tell Postgres to store, say,
indicies or big tables on them? Such things in ORACLE are called
tablespaces.

I've searched the docs, but found nothing apropriate, may be I've missed the
point.

I know, I can just upgrade hardware and move my stuff to the new server. But
still - is it possible to manage objects?

Thanks.

--

Victor Yegorov