Re: Followup Re: Performance question

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Followup Re: Performance question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 02:29:14PM -0500, Jodi Kanter wrote:
> Is restarting postmaster on a regular basis necessary for performance?

If it were, we'd throw it overboard for sure.

The one thing we _never_ restart is the postmaster.  We see no
degradation in performance from this.

My suspicion is that, if you find restarting the postmaster helps, it
might be because of a long-running transaction which is hanging
around and keeping VACUUM from doing its job.  Killing the postmaster
will certainly get rid of such transactions, but there are probably
less dire ways to do it ;-)

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110