Re: postings appearing twice...

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: postings appearing twice...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:22:17AM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 01:47, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> >

> > Why do i get two emails  when people post to sql or admin lists?
> >
> > This Does not seems to happen always but quite often. does anyone else
> > also experience the same?
> >

> There could be several reasons, like majordomo being set to give you a
> self copy of messages, or sending you one copy for each list on
> cross-posted mails.

Another possibility is the community practice of replying to all  - both
the list and senders. This happens a lot over on HACKERS (as a means of
keeping discussions going quickly when the listserv is slow (long ago this
was true), keeping people in discussions that either don't subscribe to
that list, or in digest, etc.) Mostly, it's historical accident, I think.

> try sending the following to majordomo@postgresql.org
>
> set LISTNAME noselfcopy (turn off self copy)
> set LISTNAME unique    (no duplicates from multiple lists)

All good advice.

Ross
P.S. this was sent directly to one list: if you get dups, none of the
above apply.