Re: 7.2.x -> 7.3 upgrade docs?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 7.2.x -> 7.3 upgrade docs?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thomas O'Connell wrote:
> has anyone put together a Sensible Strategies for Upgrading document
> when moving from 7.2.x to 7.3?
>
> for instance, i've read in a few different places that not all
> dependencies will be appropriately created.
>
> as an admin, my biggest questions are:
>
> 1. is it necessary, strongly recommended, recommended, or irrelevant to
> run contrib/adddepend?

Depends if you want that dependency --- I certainly would.

> 2. is it necessary, strongly recommended, recommended, or irrelevant to
> upgrade DBD::Pg for people accessing postgres via the Perl DBI? speaking
> of which, are there docs about what changed in the latest DBD::Pg?

I would.  The new version has changes from the past 18 months.

> 3. what is the default environment as far as schemas are concerned for
> databases that have been migrated? is there just a public schema created
> for all objects? is it possible to move existing tables into
> user-created schemas? i didn't see an ALTER TABLE SET SCHEMA...
>
> 4. are there other important considerations i might be overlooking?
>
> i've read the new docs, but the upgrade section remains much the same as
> previous versions, despite the fact that there seem to be enough catalog
> changes between 7.2 and 7.3 that admins ought to be paying attention to
> more details than are presented there. so far, the reading i've done has
> provided a varying amount of detail in a variety of places: the new
> version of the docs, the HISTORY file, the mailing lists; but nothing
> i've yet seen gives a complete picture of the important details to be
> considered when upgrading. maybe the details aren't as important as i'm
> guessing? i kind of feel otherwise, though.

Yes, we aren't great about presenting release information in a 100%
complete way.  FYI, the system catalog changes relate mostly to
interface/tool authors, so it doesn't appear prominently.