Re: Is a better way to have the same result of this

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Is a better way to have the same result of this
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:19:29PM -0800, Vernon Wu wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Would you suggest indexing all possible fields such as ethnicity,
> religion , education, employment in the profile table; or based on
> what queries I run, to have some multicolumn indexes?

Never index anything more than you need.  There is a fairly serious
penalty at insertion time for indexes, so you can reduce some
overhead that way.  Note, too, that index space is not recaptured by
Postgres's VACUUM, which imposes a small performance cost, but can be
a real disk-gobbler if you're not careful.

> BTW, do you get a lot of snow in Toronto these few days?

We had some a few weeks ago.  It's pretty clear right now.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Сообщение: Re: Is a better way to have the same result of this
Сообщение: Re: Is a better way to have the same result of this