Re: thanks for tedia2sql

От Marius Andreiana
Тема Re: thanks for tedia2sql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Great! I've had about five reports of tedia2sql
> working.
I don't know if you realise :), but tedia2sql is
critical for anybody
doing professional db modelling using Dia. At work,
although our servers
are on gnu/linux, I had to use a windows workstation
and Visio ( which
was paid for ) to make physical models of databases.
Why? Because
Visio can generate sql from that (and also
differential sql when
you update the diagram) and can also
'reverse-engineer' existing databases.
(however, generated sql must be corrected by hand as
it has bugs).

We can't afford making a diagram and then write by
hand the sql to
create that database ( because of time and human
errors ).

Again, thanks for tedia2sql! After having it in
production ( still a long
time until them, as first I have to migrate an
application from sybase
to pgsql, I finally convinced my boss to do it) I'm
sure my boss would
donate some cash to dia+tedia2sql as a Visio
replacement. Ah, I love software libre!

> I've... begged?... the Dia maintainers to make more
> connection points on
> UML classes the standard behaviour and submitted the
> second patch to make
> sure this wouldn't harm legacy users of Dia. Getting
> more connection
> points is a FAQ, so I figure it can't be only me
> that wants it.
Dia developers, what's the reason for this not going
in?

=====
You don't have to go to jail for helping your neighbour
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/