Hardware Tuning

От Chris Gamache
Тема Hardware Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I've read Bruce's white paper on Hardware Tuning. I'd like advise on squeezing
the most performance out of our database...

It is performing nicely with the settings below. There is no swapping to disk
going on, which makes me think I might be able to push the envelope even
further... Perhaps y'all could make some suggestions. :)

Dual P4 2.0GHz
1GB RDRAM
Linux Kernel 2.4.18
2 seperate 10000 RPM SCSI Filesystems
data files and WAL on seperate filesystems

---[postgresql.conf]-----------

max_connections = 32
shared_buffers = 256
sort_mem = 2048
fsync=false
effective_cache_size = 3000
wal_buffers = 8
wal_files = 32
wal_sync_method = fsync
wal_debug = 0
commit_delay = 0
commit_siblings = 5
checkpoint_segments = 3
checkpoint_timeout = 300

---[/postgresql.conf]-----------

I could post some system stats... Its biggest performance hit is when I do a
SELECT on non-indexed columns, which is not very often. I doubt there is much
that can be done about that (except for creating an index...)

CG