Re: Please help - tks

От Brett Schwarz
Тема Re: Please help - tks
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sorry, my bad. I thought your whole point was in regards to the sleep command (which I really didn't understand why).
However,your point about stressing the server is a very valid point, and I did not catch that in your earlier post.

My apologies for the misunderstanding...

--brett

p.s. it's been a bad day...

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:42:52 -0500 (CDT)
Brian McCane <bmccane@mccons.net> wrote:

> Brett,
>
>   It appears that I may have upset you somehow.  I didn't intend to.  I
> chose to write the PERL script to place them in a transaction to help
> improve performance a little bit on each pass.  By building and tearing
> down a connection to the postmaster everytime you send an update, you will
> be putting a much heavier load on the server than is necessary.  If I was
> using the script myself, I would make the connection to the postmaster
> once at the top of the script, and then re-use it with a transaction block
> for each group of 10/20.  Then shut it down at the end.  This way I do not
> suffer any additional protocol overhead each time I want to use it.
>
> - brian
>

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Brett Schwarz wrote:
>
> > ????

> > If he wants to "batch" them, then all he needs to do is add a condition/count:
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > cnt=1
> > while read line; do
> >
> >     # "batches" of 20 or whatever you *want*
> >     if [ "X$cnt" == "X20" ]; then
> >         sleep 5   # whatever you *want*
> >         cnt=0
> >     fi
> >
> >     psql dbname -c "UPDATE ... $line ..."
> >     let cnt=$cnt+1
> >
> > done < filename
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > I will leave it up to the reader to modify this to his/her *specific* need...
> >
> > --brett
> >

> > On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:07:32 -0500 (CDT)
> > Brian McCane <bmccane@mccons.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Much too quick and dirty.  With 300,000 updates this will take 1.5million
> > > seconds, roughly 200 days.  Even at a rate of 1 a second it will take
> > > nearly four days.  All this aside, I would probably use a perl script and
> > > do batches of about 10-20, with a sleep.  You can try something like the
> > > following and feed it using standard input.  Please NOTE, I didn't test
> > > this, and even if I did, you shouldn't trust me :).
> > >
> > > - brian
> > >
> > > Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
> > > Search http://recall.maxbaud.net/   | when you knock, equally spaced amid those
> > > Usenet http://freenews.maxbaud.net/ | that open when you don't want them to.
> > > Auction http://www.sellit-here.com/ | - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"
> > >
> > > #! /usr/bin/perl
> > >
> > > use strict ;
> > >
> > > my @updates ;
> > >
> > > while (my $line = <STDIN>)
> > > {
> > >   my $cmd = "UPDATE table SET ......." ;    # Use the line we just read
> [...]
dependingon what your file has.