Re: Storage management?????

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Storage management?????
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Pesko wrote:
  >Scalability -
  >
  >I'm new to Postgres and I am noticing there are no commands to create files
  >or tablespaces and manage storage of data over several disks for either
  >table partitioning or seperating tables and indexes.  How do you manage
  >scalability of the database and strategic placement of objects or files
  >over several disks?  I don't fully understand how the database is stored
  >and how it extends when it needs to.  How do you impose size limits and how
  >do can you store and manage, for example, a 100Gig database?

Without user intervention, all database files under $PGDATA.  A single table
that becomes too large is split, by default into 1Gb chunks.  However, there
is no provision for splitting a database.

You can use an alternative location when creating a database:
 CREATE DATABASE name WITH LOCATION = 'dbpath'

An alternative way of managing things is to use symbolic links; obviously
this requires direct intervention by the administrator.

  >Backup/Monitoring -
  >
  >How do you backup and recover using WAL transaction logging to roll forward
  >a database to the point in time of failure?

I don't think that this has been written yet.  WAL is quite new.

  >Does anyone have a comprehensive set of backup/recovery and database
  >monitoring scripts they can send my way for both data wharehousing and
  >transactional database so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?  Or are
  >there any scripts published or available for download anywhere?
  >
  >pg_dumpall errors -
  >
  >I am using postgres user with same password in all the databases but still
  >the pg_dumpall program tries to interactively authenticate even though I am
  >using "local trust" in pg_hba.config.  Any suggestions?

Are you perhaps connecting through TCP/IP (PGHOST set to "localhost")?  Then
the local rule would not apply.  Or is there another line earlier than
"local all trust" which matches your connection?

     "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
      God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
      holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
      service. And be not conformed to this world; but be ye
      transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
      prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,
      will of God."        Romans 12:1,2