pgmonitor completed

От Bruce Momjian
Тема pgmonitor completed
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
[ BCC to admin]

I have completed my PostgreSQL session monitor utility, pgmonitor.  I
have recently added the ability to start/stop the postmaster.

I considered adding the ability to set postmaster/postgres command
flags, but decided they are not changed frequently enough.

It still does not work on Solaris under 7.1RC because no Solaris users
have gotten ps_status working on that platform.

I plan to write PostgreSQL articles for the next few weeks.

                              P G   M O N I T O R

pgmonitor, version 0.42

The main web site for pgmonitor is:
    http://greatbridge.org/project/pgmonitor/projdisplay.php

You can download the most recent version from
    ftp://ftp.greatbridge.org/pub/pgmonitor

This tool allows monitoring of PostgreSQL activity.  It requires Tcl/Tk
8.0 or later.  It may require modification of the 'ps' flags for certain
platforms.  It is known to run on *BSD, Linux, and HPUX.

Pgmonitor only works when run on the database server machine.  To use it
remotely, log into the remote machine, set the DISPLAY variable to point
to your local X server, and start pgmonitor.  Pgmonitor will then run on
the remote machine, but will display on your local machine.

Pgmonitor uses 'ps' to display backend process activity.  It uses 'gdb'
to display running queries, and 'kill' to cancel queries and terminate
database connections.

Pgmonitor stores your most recent refresh and sort settings in the file
~/.pgmonitor.  This file is used to reload your defaults every time
pgmonitor is started.

If you are running PostgreSQL 7.1.0 or earlier, the 'query' button will
not work unless you compile PostgreSQL with debug symbols (-g), or apply
the supplied patch 'query_display.diff' and recompile PostgreSQL.  The
later method is recommended.

For porting assistance, there are 'set debug' and 'set show_all' options
in the script.  'debug' outputs status information while pgmonitor
running, and 'show_all' shows all PostgreSQL user processes, such as the
postmaster.

Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>