Re: Unable to start PostgreSQL from user other than root

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Unable to start PostgreSQL from user other than root
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Silky Mittal wrote:
  >Dear Sir,
  >      We are running Linux 6.2 on our machine.

That is horribly old, full of bugs and sadly lacking in features.

  >      We are able to start postgresql on the root
  >giving the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start.
  >But if we login as our own created user we are unable
  >to start postgresql using the same command as above.It
  >says No such file or directory.Help will be
  >appreciated.

The postmaster should normally be started by the postgres administrator;
I suppose that the init.d script arranges this for you.  It should not
be run by just any user.  If you must do this, you probably need to add
something to the user's PATH or define some other environment variable.

If you want to find out more about what is happening, do

  sh -x  /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

which will trace each command in the script as it is executed.

     "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence
      cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which
      made heaven and earth."
                           Psalms 121:1,2