Re: transaction safety

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: transaction safety
Дата
Список pgsql-general
DaVinci wrote:
  > Hi all.
  >
  > I want to create a new tuple of main info and detail tuples (in
  > different tables) that are joined by a key field. Key field is created by
  > generator automatically and I need that number in order to assign to detail
  > tuples. How can I to get that number in a safe way?.

A successful INSERT returns the oid of the row just created; so get the
new value with a query like this:

  SELECT key_field FROM table WHERE oid = new_oid_value;

In libpq programming, use PQoidValue() to get the oid.  Other interfcaes
should have equivalent methods.

     "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
      the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What
      is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of
      man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a
      little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him
      with glory and honour."            Psalms 8:3-5