Re: Granting Permissions to User To Access Database

От R D
Тема Re: Granting Permissions to User To Access Database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
--- Kevin Schachter <kevin@kevinity.com> wrote:
> I recently installed Postgres on my server to rid of
> the horrible
> limitations of Mysql. However I am having some
> trouble setting up
> permissions as they are in MySQL.
>
> In MySQL you can grant a user select permissions to
> all tables in a database
> with the command "GRANT select on db.* to .....". Is
> there a similar way to
> accomplish this in Postgres? Reading up on GRANT I
> see that it only works
> for individual tables and not a full database.
>
> As well, how can I restrict a user to only one
> database. In pg_hba.conf
> there is nothing that specifies the user name. I can
> grant access to the
> database to all users on an ip, but I can't grant it
> to only one user.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kevin

You can do this by using external password file. Edit
pg_hba.conf
host database x.x.x.x y.y.y.y password passwdfile

where database is database name, x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y
are ip and netmask and passwdfile is the name of the
file with passwords for the allowed users.
Read the documents for more info!

This is one of the features of PgSQL that I do not
like. It is much nicer to type:
"grant all on database.table to ....."
And I asked the developers to do that but they did not
take it very seriously.
There is one thing I do not like: you can not disallow
users to create tables. Every user having access to a
database can create a table in it. This was in the
todo list of 7.1 but now it is removed. Stupid...
But....

Anyway Postgres is an excellent database!

Rumen