POSTMASTER, silent mode, nosync , index part missing?!

От Jean-Marc Pigeon
Тема POSTMASTER, silent mode, nosync , index part missing?!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bonjour

    Working on linux with postgres (postgresql-6.5.3) I found
    indication the postmaster is not flushing everything from
    system cache while receiving the SIGTERM or SIGINT signal.

    conditions:
    I start (on an empty data-base) to upload a data-base
    via the commands:

    first I start portmaster such:
    /usr/bin/postmaster -B512 -D /bigbase  -p port# -s -o -F

    then load the database
    psql -q -p -f bigbase.tbl -p port# database name

    Once the database is loaded, if I "kill -TERM postmaster_pid"
    then restart postmaster and use psql, I can see all indexes
    and data-records A_OK (so everything is on disk).

    Now If I start postmaster in silent mode "-S"
    /usr/bin/postmaster -B512 -D /bigbase  -p port# -s -o -F -S
    reload the data-base base again:
    psql -q -p -f bigbase.tbl -p port# database name
    (previous data-base has been fully deleted)

    Do my "kill -TERM postmaster_pid"

    Then if I restart postmaster and use psql, I can see indexes
    are incomplete (obviously, previous to the kill indexes are A_ONE).
    as fare I can see the problem stand only on the indexes (data
    records seems all here, bigbase is around 120000 records, 1K record).

    I know "-F" is dangerous if you have a system crash, but
    according my understanding and my postgres source code review,
    "fsync" is done everytime a "gentle" kill is done (no -KILL).

    I first noticed the problem while starting the command
    /usr/bin/postmaster -B512 -D /bigbase  -p port# -s -o -F
    (note: no -S) via a "rsh".

    I feel the problem is related to stdin state, (but why
    the problem only show up for indexes), any help or hint
    will higly appreciated.

    I looked at previous post, was not able to locate
    post about same kind of problem.

A bientot
Jean-Marc Pigeon          Internet:   Jean-Marc.Pigeon@safe.ca
SAFE Inc.            Phone: (514) 493-4280  Fax: (514) 493-1946
     REGULUS,  a real time accounting/billing package for ISP
        REGULUS' Home base <"http://www.regulus.safe.ca">