Steering committee responce to Great Bridge LLC

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Steering committee responce to Great Bridge LLC
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In January of this year, the PostgreSQL steering committee
(http://www.postgresql.org/devel-contrib.html) was approached by
Landmark Communications (http://www.landmarkcom.com) to discuss the
creation of a new company to provide commercial support for PostgreSQL
and other open-source software.

On March 3-5, Landmark sponsored a gathering of the steering committee
in San Francisco. This was the first time the steering committee had
ever met face-to-face, and we'd like to thank Landmark for making that
possible. Several sessions included Landmark corporate staff and
explored how Landmark might work with PostgreSQL.

Landmark has now publicly announced the formation of their company,
called Great Bridge (http://www.greatbridge.com), to provide commercial
support for PostgreSQL.

Involvement of commercial companies with Open Source projects such as
PostgreSQL leads to new and, for some of us, unwelcome issues of
confidentiality, and we respected Landmark's request for confidentiality
in the time preceding their announcement of Great Bridge. We are happy
that Landmark/Great Bridge have chosen to use PostgreSQL in their
business, and look forward to seeing future contributions from them for
our Open Source effort.

Landmark has expressed interest in hiring PostgreSQL developers to work
for their new company.  Some individuals are already in negotiations
with Landmark and will make announcements at the appropriate time.

We believe this is only good news for PostgreSQL.  This will give
PostgreSQL two commercial support organizations: PostgreSQL Inc.
(http://www.pgsql.com) and Great Bridge.  PostgreSQL's increased
visibility and credibility in the business world will help the project
continue to grow.  We encourage other interested companies to contact
the steering committee to discuss how they might work with the project
for the benefit of all.