Problems with 8.1 initdb

От Chris Hoover
Тема Problems with 8.1 initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I just tried to install 8.1 from the rpms provided on the postgresql.org mirrors.

I had 8.0 installed, and removed all the 8.0 rpms.  I then blew away my 8.0 cluster (playing with a test server, obviously).  When I recreated the directory for the cluster and tried to run initdb, initdb abended with the following:

[postgres@editstapp1 ~]$ cd /usr/bin
[postgres@editstapp1 bin]$ ls postgres
postgres
[postgres@editstapp1 bin]$ ls initdb
initdb
[postgres@editstapp1 bin]$ /usr/bin/initdb --local=C /postgresql/50001
fgets failure: Success
The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the
same directory as "/usr/bin/initdb".
Check your installation.
[postgres@editstapp1 bin]$

There were no errors on the rpm installs.  All rpms except for the python rpm were installed.  Any idea what is going on here?

RHEL-AS-4
RHEL-AS-4 rpms installed from ftp10.us.postgresql.org mirror.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

P.S.

This is a test install for an upgrade from 7.3.4 to the latest version.  Since 8.1 is out, we would like to upgrade all the way to it.  Does anyone see any issues/problems with this strategy (assuming the initdb issue can be resolved)?