Re: Migrate postgres to newer hardware

От Dai, Tino
Тема Re: Migrate postgres to newer hardware
Дата
Re: Migrate postgres to newer hardware  (Tino Schwarze <postgresql@tisc.de>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Everybody,

      I'm not a dba. I'm a sysadmin by training. Is there some way to mirror the disks at the OS level? And then move
itto the new machine. Just a though, I don't know the exact steps. But if you are interested, I can see what I can
find.

-Tino

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Greg Smith
[greg@2ndquadrant.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:05 PM
To: Dai, Tino; Renato Oliveira
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org; Tino Schwarze
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Migrate postgres to newer hardware

Renato Oliveira wrote:
> Are there any commercial solutions out there for migrating large DBs?

I'm not aware of any.  The main way to address this problem by throwing
money at it is to hire someone extremely familiar with PostgreSQL
replication technology and figure out how to customize one of the
available approaches (Slony, Londiste, PITR, dump/restore) to match your
application.  For example, in some cases it's possible to record
database changes on the application side, replicate the database via one
of the fast online approaches like PITR, and then synchronize just the
changes made in the master while that was happening for a fast
switch-over to a new version.  It's not unheard for that to require
small application changes to support, to provide an easier way to log
the difference between the two.

If you can't take the additional load of Slony and have minimal
tolerance for downtime, you really need to come up with a long-term
approach to coping with that from an application architecture
perspective.  Unfortunately you're not going to find any quick fix for
that combination of requirements.