Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
  >Here is my proposal for an outline for a PostgreSQL book.  Many of us
  >have been asked by publishers about writing a book.  Here is what I
  >think would be a good outline for the book.
  >
  >I am interested in whether this is a good outline for a PostgreSQL book,
  >how our existing documentation matches this outline, where our existing
  >documentation can be managed into a published book, etc.
  >
  >Any comments would be welcome.

  >                          PostgreSQL Book Proposal
  >
  >                               Bruce Momjian
  >
  >   1.
  >          Introduction
  >   2.
  >          Installation
  >   3.
  >          Introduction to SQL

It looks good; I have a comment on the order of chapters, however.

I suggest that Installlation goes in an Appendix.  More and more, people
will be coming to machines that already have software installed, or have
them installed as packages (.rpm or .deb).

Installation is the administrator's job, and not of interest to `normal'
users, so it should not be placed in the book as if every user had to do
it.

--
      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
     "Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust,