Success !!

От johnbr@vossnet.co.uk (John Bright)
Тема Success !!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Oliver,
You are indeed a star !!
I did a re-install of Linux, did the tweak to LDFLAGS and just
as you said, a clean compile of Postgresql first time !
Having acheived that, unfortunately, I'm now going to bombard
you with a stack of follow up question, hopefully most of them
are pretty quick and just to confirm my installation is pukka.
The regression tests hit just one failure, which was for
numerology. Should I be worried about this ?
I would like to do as the INSTALL says, to get the postmaster
to load at boot time. I tried one of the options listed in the
INSTALL document (the Red Hat amendment to /etc/inittab)
and succeeded in hanging my Linux machine on reboot, but
fortunately manage to recover with the rescue system ( l learned
about the rescue system very quickly !!).
Consequently, I'd just be interested to know if you have something
to acheive this. In the /contrib/linux area there is a script
called postgres.init, which looks promising, however, the comments
say this again is a RedHat script (so after my previous experience
am slightly nervous to set this one up). Also in that script it will
bomb out if networking is not running. I'm currently building my
server standalone. Also, it uses something called local 5 (don't
know what thats about). So, if you have something that you use
on your Linux machine to autoload/autoclose the postmaster
at boot time, that would be just groovy.
I'm setting up this Linux machine as a web server. I currently
have an e-commerce web site, which uses Perl CGI scripts
talking to an Access database. I want to convert this to run
against Postgres. There is a Perl interface for Postgres, but do
I have to do a recompile using the --with-perl option to
./configure to be able to run Perl/CGI scripts against the
database  ?? If I need to add in this Perl module it says this
has to be done on an existing Postgres system. If I do
./configure --with-perl
make clean
make all >& make.log & --- and then follow the rest of the
Postgres build procedure will I then have my Perl enabled db, or
is there a separate procedure for amending an installed instance ?
Whilst I'm at it, I may include the -m486 flag as a COPT, would
this be a good idea ?
Sorry, I've gone on long enough now, but just finally to close,
I'm building this web server using SuSE Linux 5.1, Perl,
Apache 1.2.4, Postgresql 6.3.1. Is there anything I should beware
of, any good tips you have for setting up a web server on that
platform. Are there benefits to be had by moving to 6.3.2 or 6.4 ?
Many Thanks for all your help, Oliver.
Best Regards
John