Re: Caching of Queries

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Caching of Queries
Дата
Re: Caching of Queries  ("Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> I think the conclusion of past discussions about this feature is that
> it's a bad idea. Last I checked, MySQL has to clear the *entire* query
> cache when a single DML statement modifying the table in question is
> issued.

Do they actually make a rigorous guarantee that the cached result is
still accurate when/if it is returned to the client?  (That's an honest
question --- I don't know how MySQL implements this.)

IIRC, in our past threads on this topic, it was suggested that if you
can tolerate not-necessarily-up-to-date results, you should be doing
this sort of caching on the client side and not in the DB server at all.
I wouldn't try that in a true "client" scenario, but when the DB client
is application-server middleware, it would make some sense to cache in
the application server.