Re: PostgreSQL db

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: PostgreSQL db
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Amit Sharma <asharma@verts.co.in> wrote:

> Hope I am not bothering you by sending this email.  I had some
> query regarding Postgres & while doing research online I got your
> reference. We are using OpenERP an opensource ERP system. For one
> installation it require that there will be 3000 simultaneous
> users accessing OpenERP server, hence same requests will come to
> PostgreSQL server.  And daily 500,000 (Half million)records will
> be added that means 15,000,000 (15 Million) a month.
>
> Can Postgres handle 3000 simultaneous requests and handled
> 15million records addition month on month basis. With this growth
> can Postgresql handle the volume for next 10 years or so? Any
> recommendation on Server configuration; we will be using Amazon
> Cloud.

People often run much larger volumes than this on PostgreSQL, but
generally not without using connection pooling.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections

Personally, I managed a machine which typically had 3000 users
running queries against it while about 20 million
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements per day were run against it.
Tuning showed best performance when we used connection pools with
35 connections for read-only queries and 6 connections for the DML.

Expect to spend some time adjusting the configuration for your
particular hardware and workload.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com