Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:06 +0200, Paolo Rizzi wrote:
> Hi all,
> recently I came across a question from a customer of mine, asking me if
> it would feasible to run PostgreSQL along with PostGIS on embedded hardware.
> They didn't give me complete information, but it should be some kind of
> industrial PC with a 600MHz CPU. Memory should be not huge nor small,
> maybe a couple of GBytes, hard disk should be some type of industrial
> Compact Flash of maybe 16 GBytes.

Well the CPU is slow the but rest isn't so bad.

> They are thinking about using this setup on-board of public buses and
> trams, along with a GPS receiver, for self-localization. So that when
> the bus or tram enters defined zones or passes near defined points,
> events are triggered.
> The database could probably be used completely read-only or almost that.
>
> What performances do you think would be possible for PostgreSQL+PostGIS
> on such hardware???

If you aren't doing a lot of writing I don't see a huge barrier to this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drkae

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Transparent table partitioning in future version of PG?
Сообщение: Re: Transparent table partitioning in future version of PG?