Re: table partioning performance

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: table partioning performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:02 -0500, Steven Flatt wrote:
> On 1/6/07, Colin Taylor <colin.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:
>         Hi there,  we've partioned a table (using 8.2) by day due to
>         the 50TB of data (500k row size, 100G rows) we expect to store
>         it in a year.
>         Our performance on inserts and selects against the master
>         table is disappointing, 10x slower (with ony 1 partition
>         constraint) than we get  by going to the partioned table
>         directly.
>
> Are you implementing table partitioning as described at:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/ddl-partitioning.html ?
>
> If yes, and if I understand your partitioning "by day" correctly, then
> you have one base/master table with 366 partitions (inherited/child
> tables).  Do each of these partitions have check constraints and does
> your master table use rules to redirect inserts to the appropriate
> partition?  I guess I don't understand your "only 1 partition
> constraint" comment.
>
> We use partitioned tables extensively and we have observed linear
> performance degradation on inserts as the number of rules on the
> master table grows (i.e. number of rules = number of partitions).  We
> had to come up with a solution that didn't have a rule per partition
> on the master table.  Just wondering if you are observing the same
> thing.

If you are doing date range partitioning it should be fairly simple to
load data into the latest table directly. That was the way I originally
intended for it to be used. The rules approach isn't something I'd
recommend as a bulk loading option and its a lot more complex anyway.

> Selects shouldn't be affected in the same way, theoretically, if you
> have constraint_exclusion enabled.

Selects can incur parsing overhead if there are a large number of
partitions. That will be proportional to the number of partitions, at
present.

--
  Simon Riggs