Re: PITR recovery

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: PITR recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 09:41 -0600, Ben K. wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:59 -0600, Ben K. wrote:
> >> 2. sql dump and PITR
> >> Is it possible to use the PITR method with SQL dump? (pg_start_backup ->
> >> sql dump -> pg_stop_backup) I guess not, but just want to make sure.
> >
> > No, because there is no reason or benefit.
>
> Thanks. I guess the PITR plays on a different ground. This is just a
> superficial question, but would it be possible to separate sql and disk
> operations? Eventually, it would be nice if we can have something like
> these as example. (I don't have any experience with this product.)
>
> http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Log_Rescue/
>
> We sometimes have relatively minor but still painful problems (someone or
> some scripts causes undesirable changes) and if we can go from the sql
> dump (backup) and stop at a certain point, it would be really nice. It'd
> also give us more granuality in controlling backup or test servers.

There is a log analysis tool on pgfoundry that does something similar.

You can already stop recovery at a certain point. So there's nothing to
stop you doing a recovery on a development machine up to a certain
point, then dumping the deleted data using pg_dump and re-loading it
into the live server. Then erasing the dev recovered database.

--
  Simon Riggs