Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOT

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 09:51 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > What are the advantages of HOT over SITC (other than cool name) ?
>
> still wondering this, is it just the abilty to span multiple pages ?

Multiple page spanning, copy back/VACUUM support, separate overflow
relation to prevent heap growth were the main ones.

There's ideas in HOT from lots of people and places, SITC was just one
of those. There wasn't a dust-off between different designs, just an
attempt to take the best designs from wherever/whoever they came from,
so HOT isn't one person's design.

If anybody wants to change the name, we can, to whatever you like.

> > Maybe just make HOT an extended SITC which can span pages.

There is a strong willingness to get the design optimal, which will
require change.
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

That's exactly what HOT is all about....

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com