Re: permission to create user

От Rafal Pietrak
Тема Re: permission to create user
Дата
Re: permission to create user  (Timothy Smith <timothy@open-networks.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 07:54 -0400, John DeSoi wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Timothy Smith wrote:
>
> > is it possible to give a non super user the ability to create
> > another user of a different group?
> > i'm looking for a way to assign a special group of admin's just
> > enough rights to create other lowbie users without letting them
> > bypass all other access restrictions.
>
> You could create a function with the SECURITY DEFINER option which
> allows the function to be executed with the privileges of the user
> that created it.

I've been trying to do that same thing, and it works even without the
function. Still, it works with a 'glitch' but the reason for that
'glitch' is not quite clear to me. When I have:
        CREATE GROUP masters;
        ALTER ROLE masters CREATEUSER;
        CREATE USER user_one IN GROUP MASTERS;
        CREATE TABLE test1 (stamp timestamp, thing text);
        REVOKE ALL ON test1 FROM PUBLIC;
        GRANT INSERT ON test1 TO MASTERS;

Then, then I do:
        system_prompt$ psql -U user_one mydb
        mydb> INSERT INTO test1 (stamp) VALUES (current_timestamp);
                -- this works OK!!
        mydb> CREATE USER user_two;
                -- this fails unless I do:
        mydb> SET ROLE masters;
        mydb> CREATE USER user_two;
                -- this works OK, "user_two" gets created.

Any one knows, why do I have to explicitly SET ROLE, when I try to
exercise the group priviledge of role creation, while I don't need that
when accessing tables? Is this a feature, or a bug?

--
-R