Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
I don't quite understand what you're doing here, but smells to me for
something which shouldn't be interactive in the first place. If some
query expectedly exceeds a few seconds, we make the operation
asynchronous, i.e. the user starts it, gets a page saying the thing is
currently being done, and then he receives some kind of notification
when the thing is finished, either on the web page (by periodically
reloading) or by email for really long lasting things.
Now the chunking method does have an overhead indeed, but it has a set
of good properties too: it's easily interruptible, it won't bug your
database down (it will let some other things go too between the chunks),
and you won't get connection timeouts for really long operations... it's
just more manageable in many respects.
And if you do have some long lasting things, make sure you won't let the
user hit reload 50 times... an asynchronous way of doing it will help in
this regard too, cause then you know what the user did and reload will
only show the status.

HTH,
Csaba.