Re: Loading speed

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Loading speed
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 03:25, Cath Lawrence wrote:
> Now the REFERENCES bits build triggers, and in each case it refers to
> the primary key of the table.

It needs to refer to a UNIQUE column, not necessarily the primary key.

>  This is always indexed, yes? When I
> construct the table it says  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create
> implicit index 'amino_acid_pkey' for table 'amino_acid' - this IS an
> index on the column I named as the PRIMARY KEY, not on some oid, isn't
> id?

Yes

> With my simple-minded pygresql script, I have one insert statement per
> atom, and of course it crawls very feebly. Perhaps there's an
> insert_many method I haven't found yet (the docs suck, I will keep
> looking).

Use transactions to group them 1000 at a time; that will greatly reduce
the overhead on each insertion.

BEGIN;
INSERT...
INSERT...
[1000 times]
END;

> Or perhaps I should write them out to a text file and use COPY?

That is the fastest way to do bulk importing.

     "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss
      for Christ."                 Philippians 3:7