Re: Table spaces (was Re: State of Beta 2)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Table spaces (was Re: State of Beta 2)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 23:08, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, that's been in the back of my mind also.  Once we have tablespaces
>> and a couple of the other basic features we're still missing, it might
>> be a more reasonable proposition to freeze the on-disk representation.

> I think that every effort should be made so that the on-disk struct-
> ure (ODS) doesn't have to change when tablespaces is implemented.

That's not going to happen --- tablespaces will be complex enough
without trying to support a backwards-compatible special case.

If we have a workable pg_upgrade by the time tablespaces happen, it
would be reasonable to expect it to be able to rearrange the user data
files of an existing installation into the new directory layout.  If
we don't, the issue is moot anyway.