Re: a web framework for postgresql?

От Guido Neitzer
Тема Re: a web framework for postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01.03.2006, at 19:39 Uhr, falcon wrote:

> Any one know of such a framework?
>
> (I'm asking this in pgsql because such a framework will have to be
> fairly closely linked to a database...and I mainly use pgsql).

Hmm. No. I don't think you can have this combined with what is often
called "business logic". A lot of stuff is described in the db model,
but that's only one thing.

What about process flows, permissions, login handling, session
handling, design, performance optimization and so on?

I use WebObjects (http://www.apple.com/webobjects) as my main
development environment and I found that every application is unique
in a good percentage of its features.

For "administration" application the included DirectToWeb-Framwork in
combination with a powerful community based framework
("ProjectWonder") is a VERY powerful tool when it comes to rapid
development. It saves me days and weeks of work - I just couldn't do
my job anymore without it and developing applications in a "standard
way". But it has a very steep learning curve and is sometimes hard to
handle and often frustration - until you learn how not to fight the
tool.

Frontend applications like online shops, portals and so on are then
developed in a more conventional way with components and handwritten
xhtml/css.

If you have a Mac for development it's worth a look. Deployment can
go anywhere (in theory - we have only used Linux and Mac OS X Server
so far) as long as a Java runtime is installed.

cug

--
PharmaLine, Essen, GERMANY
Software and Database Development