Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware

От Jeff
Тема Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 14:58 -0500, Jeff wrote:
>
>> voila. I have 2 full copies of the db.  You could even expand it a
>> bit
>> and after the rsync & friends have it fire up the instance and run
>> pg_dump against it for a pg_restore compatible dump "just in case".
>>
>> It takes a long time to restore a 300GB db, even if you cheat and
>> parallelify some of it. 8.4 may get a  pg_restore that can load in
>> parallel - which will help somewhat.
>
> Somewhat? Just to be clear, if you have the hardware for it, parallel
> restore can take a 500GB restore in 2.5 hours (versus 15). IMO, that
> is
> a *little* more than somewhat. Maybe, a bit? ;)

I'd say that qualifies more towards just a "smidge" faster ;)

I'm quite excited about the feature.  I'm still on 8.2 mostly because
of the downtime of the dump & restore.  I wrote up some plans a while
back on doing the poor-mans parallel restore, but I haven't had the
time to actually do it.

Theoretically, wouldn't the parallel pg_restore be able to run against
an 8.3 instance with a dump from 8.2?   I don't see why it wouldn't be
able to (unless it uses some handy dandy new 8.4-only catalog).  Maybe
if I get time (HAHAHA) I'll test that out..

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/