Re: [pgadmin-support] Overloading functions that are used by operators.

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgadmin-support] Overloading functions that are used by operators.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ahh, thanks. Was just looking at that.

Well I always thought you could overload functions in this way, however with your example below, although it creates it OK, PostgreSQL (not pgAdmin) gives the error 'ERROR: There is more than one function named textcat'.

As I said, I'm pretty sure that you can overload functions (in fact I know you can - there's one of mine in PostgreSQL 7.3!). I wonder if in this case the system knows that it can implicitly cast the arguments of one function to the other and hence the error is given?

Would this be the case for your citext datatype?

Regards, Dave.
-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Fraser [mailto:demolish@cwgsy.net]
Sent: 08 July 2003 21:27
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Overloading functions that are used by operators.

Hi Dave,
if you want an easy way to reproduce it do the following:

CREATE FUNCTION pg_catalog.textcat(varchar, text) RETURNS text AS 'textcat' LANGUAGE 'internal' IMMUTABLE STRICT;
This wouldn't normally be necessary as we have type casting that will handle it and or operators but anyway that's beside the point...

Either the above statement is illegal or you have to find a different method for locating the function name associated with an operator.
That's the crux of the matter.

Regards
Donald Fraser.