Re: Warm standby questions

От Michael Graziano
Тема Re: Warm standby questions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> A quick question for you on this note, since you seem to actually be
> doing
> it.
>
> In the case he suggested below, does B delete the WAL files once
> consumed,
> do I do that with an external monitor, or do they stay there forever
> until I
> run out of space?

The slave/standby server deletes the logs from pg_xlog when it's done
replaying them (so you need to keep the ones needed for recovery
around locally so you can do a failover - I discovered this the hard
way in our dev environment :).

If you're using the pg_standby tool (under contrib/ in the Pg source)
the directory it picks the logs up from isn't touched by default so it
will accumulate logs until the disk fills, but there are parameters to
have it remove the segments it doesn't need anymore to keep your disk
from filling up.

My environment is a little strange (at least I never read about one
set up like this before I built it) and has some associated oddities
in the old segment cleanup process - All of my slaves mount an archive
partition on the master (read-only) and every log file is "picked up"
twice: Once to copy it locally, and again to put it where Postgres
wants it for replay/recovery.
every slave to bring up a new master.  If there's interest I'll post a
writeup on my blog rather than rambling in an email :)

-MG