Re: How to start postresql db server as a administrator on windows platform?

От Jason Minion
Тема Re: How to start postresql db server as a administrator on windows platform?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
You really need to run PostgreSQL as an unprivileged user.

The database server needs to serve as the *only* interface between processes accessing information stored by the server
andthat stored information. With the database user being an unprivileged process, you would be protected in case the
databaseprocess attempted to execute a process it shouldn't, or overwrite files it shouldn't, which protects your host
system.PostgreSQL should *not* be doing anything that requires permissions outside the scope of reading and writing its
files,and as few users as possible (ie only administrators) should have access to read or write such files.

This is a fundamental security design common to many platforms and applications. Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

and to answer your actual question...

If you want to simply execute PostgreSQL at a command prompt check:

> pg_ctl.exe --help

You'll want to use the runas command to run the pg_ctl.exe under another (unprivileged!) user account:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/runas.mspx

Jason Minion
IT Developer
Sigler Printing & Publishing