Re: Quick Performance Poll

От Milen Kulev
Тема Re: Quick Performance Poll
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Luke,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I have got ***much*** more information than  expected ;)

Obviously there are thing to be improved in the current implementation of BMP indexes,
But anyway they are worth usung (I wa pretty impressed from the BMP index performance, after
Reading a PDF document on Bizgres site).

Thanks ahain for the information.

Regards. Milen

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Lonergan [mailto:llonergan@greenplum.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:28 PM
To: Milen Kulev
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org; bizgres-general
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Quick Performance Poll

Milen,

On 4/20/06 12:45 PM, "Milen Kulev" <makulev@gmx.net> wrote:

> I (still) haven't tried Bizgres, but what do you mean  with "The
> current drawback to bitmap index is that it isn't very maintainable
> under insert/update, although it is safe for those operations"?

Yes.

> Do you mean that INSERT/UPDATE operations against bitmap indexes are
> imperformant ? If yes, to what extend ?

Insert/Update (but not delete) operations will often invalidate a bitmap index in our current implementation because we
have not implemented a maintenance method for them when insertions re-use TIDs.  We are in the planning stages for an
update that will fix this.

> Or you mean that bitmap index corruption is possible when issueing DML
> againts BMP indexes?

We check for the case of an insertion that causes a re-used TID and issue an error that indicates the index should be
removed before the operation is retried.  This isn't particularly useful for cases where inserts occur frequently, so
the current use-case if for tables where DML should be done in batches after removing the index, then the index
re-applied.

> I am asking this question because Oracle needed 3 years to solve its
> BMP index problems (BMP index corruption/ space usage explosion when
> several processes are performing DML operations ).

We will be much faster than that!  Concurrency will be less than ideal with our maintenance approach initially, but
there shouldn't be a corruption problem.

> Is Bizgres implementation  suffering from this kind child deseases ?

Sneeze, cough.

- Luke