Vacuum

От Summer S. Wilson
Тема Vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.1 with Slackware 8 on a dual processor Dell server.
I have a database with 17 tables.  I started VacuumDB with the analyze
option on Friday around 3pm...when I came in this morning at 8 it was still
not done.  From the verbose info, it seems to be "stuck" on one table,
whowrote which is the second largest table (2546 records).

I'm not sure what is causing it to seem to pause here, since the database
hasn't been put into production or anything, just the design.  The table is
nearly identical to another one, called whichcats, that ran through no fine.
I put their table create statements below in case it would help, but my
question is what is taking vacuumdb so long and how can I fix it?

-- Table: whowrote (table its stalling on)
CREATE TABLE "whowrote" (
  "connectionid" int4 DEFAULT
nextval('"whowrote_tmp_connectionid_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
  "pubid" int4,
  "authorid" int4,
  CONSTRAINT "whowrote_tmp_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("connectionid"),
  CONSTRAINT "whowrotefk" FOREIGN KEY (authorid) REFERENCES "authors"
(authorid),
  CONSTRAINT "whowrotepubfk" FOREIGN KEY (pubid) REFERENCES "publications"
(pubid)
);

-- Table: whichcats (similar table)
CREATE TABLE "whichcats" (
  "connectionid" int4 DEFAULT nextval('"whichcats_connectionid_seq"'::text)
NOT NULL,
  "catid" int4,
  "pubid" int4,
  CONSTRAINT "whichcats_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("connectionid"),
  CONSTRAINT "whichcatfk" FOREIGN KEY (catid) REFERENCES "cats" (catid),
  CONSTRAINT "whichcatpubfk" FOREIGN KEY (pubid) REFERENCES "publications"
(pubid)
);

Summer S. Wilson         ICQ 26835530
Programmer/Analyst I, EIT TCE