Profiling

От Werner vd Merwe
Тема Profiling
Дата
Re: Profiling
Список pgsql-admin

Good day all!

I posted this question in NOVICE some time ago, but have not really had any replies.

We are running a PG7.4 database, being accessed through jsp’s called through Tomcat. The problem is, that sometimes the database comes to a complete standstill, sometimes because of deadlocks, but I would venture to say that most times it is because it runs out of resources.

The current hardware config is as follows:

Dual Xeon 2.4GHz CPU’s

3 GB RAM

3 X WD 73 GB drives in RAID-5

My question is, are there any software or apps out there that can monitor CPU, memory and shared buffer usage etc so I can have a pro-active way of monitoring when we need to upgrade hardware, or just tweak the software. I am aware that running complex queries will take a large chunk of CPU time, but it would be good for me to have the normal running load of PG.

Hope the question makes sense.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Werner vd Merwe