Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2009/11/22 Clive Page <cgp@star.le.ac.uk>

Unfortunately it isn't a "few minutes".  To re-run in v8.1 I have to reload many tables into a different installation using v8.1: some of the tables have a few million rows and hundreds of columns.  Then I have change some scripts to add an EXPLAIN command and log the resulting output (rather than getting the results that I actually want).  This will take hours.  I will try to do it soon, but cannot do it instantly.  I have some data that I want to process first.

I agree that this is a bug in Postgres - the bug was removing code that worked perfectly well and upon which some users depended.  I simply don't understand why the Rtree code could not have been left in there, for those who found that the new-fangled GIST indexing did not work.

Hi Clive,

Since this is a performance issue, this should probably have been sent to the pgsql-performance mailing list.  But in any case, the vast majority of performance issues require an EXPLAIN output, or preferably with ANALYZE also as there is nothing to help diagnose what the query planner it attempting to do.

It's always of interest to developers if there are corner cases that might identify overlooked scenarios, so it's always appreciated if enough information is provided to recreate the conditions to see whether there is a genuine problem in the software itself.

Regards

Thom

Сообщение: Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?
Сообщение: Re: How to get RTREE performance from GIST index?