Re: Linked directory or explicit reference

От Senor Cervesa
Тема Re: Linked directory or explicit reference
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/30/2024 17:31, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 7:00 PM Senor Cervesa
> <frio_cervesa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi All;
>
>     When doing an initial install of PostgreSQL on RHEL 7 or 8 derived
>     OS via rpm, what are pros, cons and recommendations of these 2
>     procedures for utilizing a second disk?
>
>     Secondary SSD or RAID mounted at /disk2.
>
>     Option #1
>
>      1. install the rpm which creates basic user and home
>      2. Create symlink /var/lib/pgsql/15/data --> /disk2/data
>      3. initdb with no special options
>
>     Or Option #2
>
>      1. install the rpm which creates basic user and home
>      2. initdb with --pgdata=/disk2/data
>         Probably using included 'postgresql-12-setup' script
>
>     I also link /var/lib/pgsql/data  --> ../15/data so automation can
>     reference postgresql.conf without knowing version (legacy stuff).
>

> In my experience,The PgBackRest restore feature does not like symlinks.
I hadn't considered that and it's the kind of experience feedback I'm
looking for. It won't be an issue for me though.

>     The install is automated with a bash script which handles several
>     options including whether there is a second disk for DB. Scripting
>     the install with or without the second disk is straight forward
>     but I'm concerned with either scenario causing unforeseen differences.
>
>     I don't think there's a benefit to using tablespace here but I
>     have no experience with it. The systemd service is configured with
>     a dependency on the disk mount so I don't think there are
>     different risks for starting postgres with missing data directory.
>
>     I've run postgres in both scenarios and not had any issues. I'm
>     interested in comments from others on their experience using these
>     or other options.
>
> Is the mount point just "/disk2" when using "--pgdata=/disk2/data"?
> I've gotten "directory not empty" errors when the mount point is
> "/Database/x.y/data".

When linked, it looks like:

[root@test110 pgsql]# ll /var/lib/pgsql/15/data
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 12 May  1 05:21 /var/lib/pgsql/15/data ->
/disk2/data/

I'm not sure what would trigger "directory not empty". When running
initdb there is nothing under data. I could see a problem with a symlink
throwing that message as a catchall though. I haven't run across any
problems yet.

Thank you Ron Johnson for the feedback.

От: Kashif Zeeshan
Сообщение: Re: Table data migration from single server to Flexi server
От: RAJAMOHAN
Сообщение: Prevent users from executing pg_dump against tables