Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 wrote:

> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:16:14 +0200
> From: ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 <Andreas.Zeugswetter@telecom.at>
> To: 'Oleg Bartunov' <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> Cc: "'hackers@postgresql.org'" <hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
>

> > > Perhaps the locale data can be used to gather this information?
> >
> > It's certainly there ! locale data contains all information about
> > specific character set and encoding. Is it possible to use it to create
> > indices ? It should be slower but benefits of using indices will cover
> > expenses for non-US people. I didn't notice such behaivour in Informix
> > and Oracle.
> >
> Informix has the national character handling, and it is indexable in
> Informix.
> But it is not done for the standard types char and varchar. In Informix
> you use nchar and nvarchar, and have one locale defined per database.
> In Oracle you have national characters, but access is not indexable.
> Actually the SQL standard has something to say about national char
> and varchar. I think it is wrong that char and varchar change their behavior
> in postgresql, if you enable locale. A locale sensitive column needs to be
> specified
> as such in the create table statement according to the standard.

Thanks for explanations. It would be great if I could specify for specific
columns if it needs locale. For now I have to pay decreasing in speed
just to enable locale for the only column of one database !!!
I always dream to be able to specify on fly 'SET LOCALE to ON|OFF'
It's a bit separate problem, but probably more easy to implement.
Regards,           Oleg

> I never enable locale.
>
> Andreas

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83