Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sep 28, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> I don't have any opinion about whether the functionality proposed here
>> is worth the trouble, but I do have an opinion about that syntax: it's
>> an awful choice.
>
> I agree, on both points.
>
> It's nice to try to reduce the excess verbosity that is IMHO the
> biggest usability issue with PL/pgsql, but I can't help wondering
> whether we're trying to dam the Nile with chicken wire.

I would really like to have this functionality. Iterating over arrays is something I do in PL/pgSQL a *lot*.

I see two ways to handle syntax:

1. A new keyword. Some options:  + FOREACH (too close to FOR?)  + ITERATE (ew)

2. Require the subscripts() function as syntax.

Thoughts?

Best,

David