Re: libpq, PQdescribePrepared -> PQftype, PQfmod, no PQnullable

От Alex Goncharov
Тема Re: libpq, PQdescribePrepared -> PQftype, PQfmod, no PQnullable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
,--- Peter Eisentraut (Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:14:09 +0300) ----*
| On tor, 2011-10-06 at 20:15 -0400, Alex Goncharov wrote:
| > P.S. And on the odd chance that somebody thinks that this
| >      functionality would be possible and helpful to add to libpq, and
| >      the problem is in the lack of human resources: I would be more
| >      then happy to dig into some PostgreSQL (the product) development
| >      under somebody's coaching, to start with.  This topic or other.
| >      I just wouldn't know where to start myself.
|
| I had some some research on this particular topic/feature recently.  My
| notes currently say, it's better to not tackle this before the not-null
| cataloging patch (see entry in current commitfest) is finished.

Peter,

Thank you -- this is very helpful: I was not aware of a commitfest
list.  Will try to check it out within a few days.

| Because that patch would presumably already implement much of the
| logic necessary to determine whether a give expression implies
| nullability or not and catalog this in a simpler fashion.  Based on
| that you will then have to drag this information around and put it
| on the wire so that the client APIs can process it.

Good to hear that I am not alone in the expressed wish. Thank you
again for all the technical details!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --