Is The Server Running on Host Error

От WAYNE BAKER - Network
Тема Is The Server Running on Host Error
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I am getting the following error message:

Is the server running on host (--.--.--.--) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I downloaded the newest PostGreSQL Unicode x64 ODBC driver for Windows. Then I setup the ODBC connection by searching for ODBC and right-clicking on ODBC Data Sources (64bit) run as administrator.

Next  I clicked on the add button and put in the information for the connection. However, when I click on test I get the error message. The actual PostGreSQL database is on a different server than the server I am using for the ODBC connection.

The steps I have taken thus far to troubleshoot the issue is:

  • I first installed PortQryV2 to check whether the port 5432 is blocked.  PortQry returned TCP port 5432 (unknown service): LISTENING.  Which means the port is not blocked and is listening.
  • I updated the pg_hba.conf file for IPV4
    host    all             all              0.0.0.0/0               md5

host    all             all              40.1.0.0/16           trust

  • For IPV6 I added
    host    all             all               ::0/0                        md5
  • Next I installed pgAdmin4 on the same server I am using for the ODBC connection.  I am able to connect to the database using the same information in pgAdmin4 as I am using for the ODBC connection.
  • I looked at the postgresql.conf and the variable listen_addresses = '*' was already set. So I didn’t change it.
  • I did read when you update the config files you have to either run the following sql SELECT pg_reload_conf() or pg_ctl reload -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\bin"
  • I did try to use the PostGreSQL Ansi x64 ODBC but got the same error
  • I also used localhost as the server name and got a different error (Fatal: password authentication failed for the user)
  • I noticed there are two versions of PostGreSql installed version 11 and 12.  So I did update the port number in the postgresql.conf file to be 5433 and added an inbound rule to the firewall for that port.
  • I also updated the registry key to point to the directory where the new driver resides

I believe the issue might be that even though I updated the .conf files. I was never able to reload the PostGreSQL server.  So the conf files were never updated.

I got the following error:

pg_ctl: directory "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/12/bin" is not a database cluster directory when I ran pg_ctl reload -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12\bin"

Than I got a permission error when running “SELECT pg_reload_conf()”

Can you tell me how to access any error logs?   What are the next steps I should take to troubleshoot the issue?

I apologize for the long email just trying to provide as much information as I can.

Thanks,

Wayne