Re: Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views?

От Mike Christensen
Тема Re: Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks!

I've never done that in PG before, but I've used named connections
with Oracle.  Is it the same sort of deal?  There's a file on the disk
somewhere with the connection info?  Either way, I'm sure it's a RTFM
thing so I'll look into it.

Mike

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:
>> I often manually pull in production data into my test database so I
>> can test new code on realistic data, as well as test upgrade scenarios
>> or repro data specific bugs.  To do this, I've setup a `VIEW` for each
>> production table in my test database.  These views look something like
>> this:
>>
>>    CREATE VIEW ProdLink.Users AS
>>       select * from dblink(
>>          'hostaddr=123.123.123.123 dbname=ProductionDB user=ROUser
>> password=secret',
>>          'select * from users') as t1(userid uuid, email varchar(50),
>> alias varchar(50), fullname varchar(50), password varchar(100));
>>
>> Now, on my production database I can run:
>>
>>    SELECT * FROM ProdLink.Users;
>>
>> And see all users on my production database.  I can then do things like:
>>
>>    INSERT INTO Users SELECT * FROM ProdLink.Users L WHERE NOT EXISTS
>> (select 1 from Users where Users.UserId = L.UserId);
>>
>> Allowing me to pull in every user from production that doesn't already
>> exist in test.
>>
>> I have about 30 of these views to *proxy* the production data, however
>> I find it somewhat hacky to have to hardcode in the production
>> database connection info into each view.
>>
>> Is there a good way to avoid hardcoding, or at least duplicating this
>> connection info on each view?  Can I use database level variables,
>> environment variables, or anything else instead?
>
> sure: why don't you set up a named connection and just make sure it's
> established before hitting any of the views?
>
> merlin

Сообщение: Re: Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views?
Сообщение: Re: Is there a way to avoid hard coding database connection info into views?